The Family

The Family

Monday, September 3, 2012

USN and the Anchor

Things I have learned as a Sub Wife.... The fouled anchor is a Naval symbol of an anchor with a chain wrapped around it or "fouled" (an "unfouled anchor" would be one that is not entangled in its chain). The fouled anchor has long been the symbol of the Chief Petty Officer. In terms of the Chief, the fouled anchor symbolizes the trials and tribulations that every Chief Petty Officer must endure on a daily basis. The "USN" on the fouled anchor stands for Unity, Service and Navigation, symbolizing the Unity of the CPO Mess, the undaunted Service to God and country of each and every Chief Petty Officer and the Navigation that the Chief is expected to provide to each Sailor, each Navy ship and the entire Navy. As a Chiefs wife Unity is evident in the way I support The Mess by presenting a united front when representing the command. Whether I agree with or like the schedule the boat has, the working hours they keep, or the policies in place as a Chiefs wife I am responsible for setting the example for those wives who are searching for the right path to follow. Complaining, making my displeasure known, or fighting the system is not representing myself or my husband well. Instead my goal should be to support the command and educate those who don't understand the sacrifices of the submarine service. Service is seen in the many ways I support my husband in his career. Understanding that in order for him to serve his country, I must serve him. Serving him looks like this: making sure I take care of our lives when he's gone, supporting him when he is gone but would rather be home, making life easier for him in any way I can, remembering this is a life we chose together and we both will be expected to make sacrifices. While he endures the trials and tribulations of being a Chief Petty Officer it is my job to provide a home that is not only a physical haven, but an emotional and mental haven at the end of the day. Navigation is evident in the many situations I find myself in. Whether it be a flat tire, broken washing machine, a child who misses their dad, or my attitude about being left behind with all of the situations mentioned above, I have a choice in the path I chose to navigate. I can complain and have unrealistic expectations and make myself and all those around me miserable or I can take a deep breath...eat a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups for dinner, pick the wedgie my big girl panties are giving me, slap a smile on my face and choose the path of.....anchoring up!!! In order to support your husband and keep your sanity you need to make a choice daily to portray...unity...service...navigation while supporting your anchor! Honorcouragecommittment

No comments:

Post a Comment