The Family

The Family

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Character

Last night at the Guam Region Khaki Ball retired Command Master Chief Luis Cruz made this powerful statement, "Character makes trust possible and trust makes leadership possible." As a human being your character should be important to you, because it really is how people see you. However, as a Navy spouse your character is how the world see's not only you, but your husband and often his command. What does this mean for your husbands career? Well, if your character is one of honor courage and commitment, then the command and others will begin to factor your character into your husbands character factor, breeding trust, which in return will cause individuals to begin to give your husband more and more responsibility, preparing him for more leadership roles. However, should your character be one that causes others to doubt his character, because of your words or actions, then they will be less reluctant to trust him with responsibility and leadership. Now, I'm not saying he will not ever get ahead, but why would you as his spouse work against him and cause him to work twice as hard? This doesn't mean you need to be this super involved, all knowing spouse. For many years I was not involved with any command activities because we had four small children and I have always worked full time. Even if you chose not to become involved your support of your husband and the command is seen as a positive character trait. This can be done in simple ways like making sure that he has what he needs to succeed at work like a clean uniform, a good diet, flexibility and understanding of the ships demanding schedule, the freedom of not having to worry about you causing trouble in the FRG or among the wives, making sure your finances are taken are of, taking care of your children and educating them on daddy's sacrifices, and being there when he needs you. And while it sounds like a simple plan...I promise you it often requires more than you think you have to give some days:-) It wasn't until my husband's twenty-one year mark that I became a more active part of his career by supporting the command and speaking at spouse symposiums. And I'm going to let you in on a little secret....I am not comfortable meeting new people...once I get to know you it's all good...but that initial let me introduce myself gives me a stomach ache. So moving to Guam and becoming even more active in his career has been very difficult for me. After living in Hawaii for twenty-two years I was very comfortable in my role and knowing those around me, so taking a leap and moving to where I knew exactly four people...two of which I had never met in person was quite the challenge for me. I'm still stumbling through introducing myself and getting to know people and very much out of my comfort zone. However, I am working to put my big girl panties on and get over it, to ensure that this tour is a success not only for my husband and his career, but for my own personal growth and development. What does your character say about you, your husband and his career? When you ask yourself this question...can you answer with confidence that your character is an asset to his career? HONORCOURAGECOMMITMENT!!!

1 comment:

  1. This doesn't change once retirement hits and you're in the civilian world, either. Oh, I don't know...maybe being a Chief's Wife did prepare me. My husband works in a job now where there are spouse functions and dinner parties. It is always my pleasure...my honor...my job...to help make sure he looks his best, that I look my best, and that nothing but good comes forward from us. (If all that punctuation is wrong? I can't help it! It was a long thought!)

    While I don't agree with his schedule at times, I suck it up and support him because he doing what he loves and what he does best. I may snark some at him some times, but he knows I have his back. And that helps him do his job to the best of his ability. Loving your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete