The Family

The Family

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

COVID and LIFE EVENTS

So here we are two weeks into COVID19 and the stay at home policy that has been declared in many states. I don’t know about you, but if I could, I would go back and tell my Pre-COVID self that teleworking is actually more work that actually going to the office is.  I would also make sure my Pre-COVID self knew that no, if I had unlimited time, I would not clean out all my closets and get to all of those projects I have put off.  Finally, I would tell myself that the world shutting down would impact us all in ways that we could not imagine.

Never mind the grocery stores and lack of toilet paper, dismiss the inconvenience of not being able to leave your house.  Let’s talk about the impact of COVID-19 on life events.  Prior to this time of social distancing and working from home, I had a co-worker who had been planning her daughter’s wedding for over a year.  Every time to completed one of the milestones and planning she would share it with us, a light of excitement in her eyes.  However, as the time for the wedding drew nearer, the family made the decision to post-pone the wedding, until the health scare was over.  This Bride and her family made the best decision at the time; however, it was not an easy decision to make.  The Bride and Groom will have their ceremony and time of celebration with their family, but there is some disappointment in the delay.

Next, I heard about the many proms and graduations that were cancelled due to COVD-19.  I don’t know about anyone else, but the day that all of my children graduated from high school was a momentous occasion in out household.  We do High School graduations up big in our house.  Look back to your senior year, remember how you couldn’t wait to walk across that stage and grasp your diploma.  Remember all of the events and celebrations leading up to graduation?  The graduating class of 2020 will not have that.

Think of the new mothers in labor, some of which are not allowed to have anyone in the labor room with them.  No one is there to hold their hand, get them ice chips and encourage them to keep going.  No one is there to delight in the experience of the birth of their child with them.

Finally, think about the families who have had loved one’s pass, unrelated to COVID. I have a dear friend who is stationed in Guam.  She received news last week that her sister in law was in hospice, she made sure that the Red Cross message was sent to her husband’s command, the Emery S Land.  The boat pulled into Guam this past week and the orders given were that no personnel leave the ship.  The Chief was not allowed to leave to say goodbye to his sister, now he is not allowed to leave the ship to celebrate her life, not allowed to be with his family and support system at this time.  

My Father in Law passed away Monday morning and the planning for his service has been fairly easy because only five people can be in the funeral home at one time and only four people can attend the service at the cemetery.  We are unable invite his friends and family, only the immediate family will be allowed to attend. There will be no gathering after the ceremony to celebrate his life, the state of Rhode Island will not allow gatherings of more than five people.

When we all began this time of social distancing and quarantine, I don’t think any of us thought about life happening.  Sure, we thought about having to stay at home and not be in public places, but I don’t think many of us thought about the impact that this crisis would have on life events.

So, maybe, during this time we can practice kindness.  The person who is in front of you in the pick-up line at the takeout place or the drive thru teller at the bank may not be experiencing this crisis like you are. They may have a life event that they are struggling with because of COVID19.  BE KIND. 

No comments:

Post a Comment