The Family

The Family

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Happy Veterans Day

Today is Friday, the first day of a holiday weekend that holiday being Veteran's Day. While many are excited about the three day weekend (and I have to admit I am grateful for the time off) several things happened today that made me stop and take a look at the lifestyle which I am privileged to lead. I was off of work today so I had the morning to cruise around on Facebook. Deciding that it was fitting of the Veteran's Day weekend to post several pictures of my husband and his past and present shipmates, brothers, and friends I got to work. As I posted the pictures of him in his uniform with people who are near and dear to our hearts I ran across the pictures from his last re-enlistment in Hawaii. For this particular re-enlistment site my husband chose the Chief's Quarters of the USS Missouri in honor of my father who was visiting. He also asked my Dad to hold the Bible while he was being sworn in. As I looked at the pictures and the emotions on my Dad's face I was stuck with the thought that the things that may have become the norm for me as a military spouse are quite often amazing to those who do not live this lifestyle every day. Next, I went to a Barbecue on the pier for the boat. It wasn't the food that was the draw or the rainy weather, but the photo we had taken for a project that we are working on. It was a photo of the crew and their families holding the USS Chicago brow banner. How many people have the privilege of being on the pier standing next to a submarine, never mind have their photo taken? Finally, as I was watching a movie this afternoon I began to hear the horns of the boats in the Harbor welcoming the USS Key West home, as they entered the harbor on the last stretch of their change of homeport to Guam. My house is so close to the pier not only could I hear the horns, but I could hear the cheers of the families on the pier as they saw her come into sight. The horns usually get my tears flowing, but those cheers did me in this afternoon. Back when my husband was an E-3 we used to call those who had been in forever Dig-its...because they really dug being in the Navy. I have officially become a Dig-it. I am blessed to be a part of such an amazing community, and I have the privilege of being a part of some amazing traditions and ceremonies. However, these traditions and ceremonies are symbolic of the sacrifices and trials of those who have gone before us and are being carried on by the current generation of leaders to be passed on to those who will follow us. Let us reflect this weekend on those sacrifices and the privileged life we lead. HONORCOURAGECOMMITMENT

No comments:

Post a Comment