The Family

The Family

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Be Thankful and Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!

Today is Thanksgiving in Guam and I made sure to get up early enough that I would have time for a quiet cup of coffee and time to blog. I'm not really sure what will flow from my caffein jump started mind through my fingers today, but I knew without a doubt I am being nudged to write today. This is not my first holiday away from family, as my husband has been active duty for over 23 years and we spent 22 of those years stationed in Hawaii. It is however, my second Thanksgiving without my mom to call and ask about baking a turkey, which to be honest maybe a little more difficult that the first because a year ago I was still in shock from her passing. I think the hardest thing for me this year will be it is the first time one of my children is not with me for the holiday's...yup that's going to be the hardest thing. These two items complied with the fact that there was a tragedy yesterday in the community we lived in while in Hawaii, involving children my own children went to school with, one of which I taught his sister and brother has given me so perspective on this Thanksgiving Day. This past year loosing my mom and moving to Guam has taught me some very valuable lessons. The first being not to sweat the small stuff. But in order to not sweat the small stuff you have to remember that its small stuff. I am going to dive deep (pun most certainly intended) and talk about being a submariners wife today:-) While it is something I enjoy being and has become part of who I am, there have been (and still are) days I wonder first if I will maintain my sanity, and second why life can't be fair:-) As I ponder what to write the thought that I should buy every wife on board a dry erase calendar so that she can rearrange and erase what she writes in those little squares a hundred times and still give off the appearance of order:-) The schedule on any submarine is at best fluid (pun not intended) Its hard to nail down and shifts constantly. However, as this is our second tour on the mighty Chicago I can say hers is down right flowing like the ocean she serves in. I could lie and say it does not frustrate me, but I won't:-) I have however learned to live at peace with it, and not sweat the small stuff. After all, this means I get surprise homecomings and a peace in knowing my husband has a job he finds rewarding which pays the bills:-) Then there is the whole Guam thing! After 22 years in Hawaii, Guam was not on my radar, Connecticut or Washington sure...Guam...not so much. I could be angry, frustrated, and in a state of discontent (which I have to admit occasionally happens when I can't find something I am looking for here and have to search the internet to find someone who will ship it to Guam) But when I look at the big picture it's really one of the small things in life, that is reaping benefits for my family. My younger two are being given opportunities they would not have had somewhere else. They have both traveled to Japan to participate in DOD school sports competitions, trips where we were only responsible for minimal lodging expenses and spending money. The DOD school system is amazing and provides excellent education and opportunities. They have met friends and people that have become important the them. Me the stress level at my job is so low compared to what it was in Hawaii (and they are paying me the same!!!) that I feel like I am on vacation. Because we are not living in our house in Hawaii, but renting it someone else is paying my mortgage and I am not paying a $600 electric bill. Additionally, because we save so much money living in quarters when we leave Guam we will have paid off both brand new cars and my student loans. My husband has a job, that pays very well and benefits that are out of this world, where many in America are looking for jobs. Above all of this my family is alive, healthy, and has a great relationship. This goes for my immediate family here in Guam and Hawaii, but my Dad, brother, sisters, and their families, as well. My husband says my family gets along so well we are abnormal. This is a gift in todays world. So my submarine sisters, if your husband has to go into the boat today, has duty today, or is deployed, while it sucks...and it does...in the big picture....its one of the things we would call small stuff. Don't think I don't understand because I do...at this moment there is a conversation my husband is having on his cell phone that is making me question whether he will be present at our family dinner today...so I get it. But in the big picture of life this moment today of being separated, or being stationed in Guam really is one of the small things that you or I should not sweat. Because when you look at the big picture you are healthy, your family is healthy, we have a blessed life in the submarine community, and this moment too shall one day be a memory. So I have convinced myself, and ask you to do the same that no matter what seems to be a huge disappointment today, like my daughter not being here, really is one of the small things that I should not sweat, but instead I should enjoy the gift of being able to be with my husband and other three children and our boat family today. In perspective we don't know what tomorrow holds, so don't live life today in a manner which will cause you the regret it tomorrow. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....after all Kelly Clarkson says whatever doesn't kill us will make us stronger:-) Happy Thanksgiving my sisters!!

3 comments:

  1. Pefect reading for today. I am so thankful that Dave is here to spend today with me..and to cook all the food ;) I am greatful that we have made friends who will be celebrating this day with us too. I dont know what tomorrow brings as far as the schedule goes but for today I am happy for the time we have. Thanks for reminding me to be in the moment and take things for what they are. Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?

    I look forward to hearing from you,

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily I would love to except I don't have your email address:-)

      Jill

      Delete